Over the past few months the DWELL team have been developing the citywide ‘design for downsizing’ work into a series of model housetypes. These six housetypes have been designed to address a range of suburban and urban site conditions, and to the following 5 criteria:
- Designed to HAPPI design principles (particularly in terms of daylighting, storage, and access to manageable outdoor space)
- Designed to Approved Document Part M (2015) Category 2 (Lifetime Homes) accessibility standard, with most of the layouts capable of being adapted to Category 3 (Wheelchair Homes) accessibility standard.
- Designed to balance higher densities with security and privacy.
- Adaptable for different households and for changing requirements over the lifecourse.
- Designed to form part of an attractive and accessible streetscape that promotes walking and social interaction.
To view or download work-in-progress versions of the housetypes, click on the links below, and please add any comments at the bottom of the page:
|Participatory design process>> (0.6mb)|
|Courtyard bungalow>> (4.6mb)|
|Chequerboard houses and bungalows>> (2.3mb)|
|Hillside bungalows>> (2.6mb)|
|Deck access apartments>> (2.2mb)|
|Cloister apartments (extra-care)>> (2.2mb)|
|Urban village apartments>> (3.5mb)|